Mika exists to build whole relationships in Costa Mesa.
“Poverty is the result of relationships that do not work, that are not just, that are not for life, that are not harmonious or enjoyable. Poverty is the absence of Shalom in all its meanings. ”
-Walking With The Poor, Bryant Myers
This understanding of poverty has shaped the way we choose to respond. When poverty is defined solely in economic terms, solutions tend to be short term fixes to a larger problem and may lead to dependency on social services. The “unspoken assumption is that when the missing things are provided, the poor will no longer be poor” (Myers, 65). Relief-based approaches, which provide temporary aid to reduce immediate suffering, can perpetuate the cycle of poverty that is found in cities across the country. Organizations already exist in our community to provide services that address more basic relief to the poor, so Mika works to build whole relationships through our core strategies of leadership development and community building.
action – we live out our faith in Jesus Christ by being doers of God’s Word. James 1:22, James 2:14, Colossians 3:23
- justice – we seek to promote justice as a marker of God’s Kingdom and a reflection of His character. Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 65:17-25
- love – we obey Christ’s command to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbors as ourselves. Matthew 22:37-39, Colossians 3:12-14
- mercy – we are people who display mercy, grace, and compassion. Luke 10:25-37
- relationships – we believe we were created to live in community. We seek to connect with neighbors, community partners, and the Body of Christ in reconciling personal relationships. II Corinthians 5:18-20
- humility – we know that any success we achieve is a result of God’s work in us and through us in collaboration with our partners. Philippians 2:1-4
- knowing God – we seek to know God in ever deeper ways, believing we are most effective when we are guided by His Spirit and Word. Ephesians 3:16-19, Philippians 3:7-11